A beautifully preserved piece of Australian history, the Great Central Hotel was established in 1874 and is one of the oldest commercial buildings in Glen Innes.
It’s first iteration was as the first hotel in Glen Innes, known as the Telegraph Hotel, then later as the Fitzgerald Hotel. It was situated on the first town allotment to be sold in 1854 and built by Sam Regan, with the initial building later demolished and replaced by the current establishment, built by Alex Hutchinson, in 1874. The sweeping verandahs which envelop the two storey building were added post 1907.
The Hotel prides itself on retaining the original charm of the building with large, welcoming fireplaces, plush seating and a menu of the highest calibre – that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.